Friday, July 22, 2016

Loveweaver and Tablet Weaving

Finding out about tablet weaving was the genesis of my historical romance, Loveweaver. The more I read about it, the more interested I became.  My heroine, Llyrica, a tablet weaver, was conceived and my book began to take shape.

Here's a great 5-minute video that gives you a great idea of tablet weaving.  Gosh, he's good!

At the time of my research (15 years ago) internet research was not what it is today, much less You Tube tutorials, so I learned to tablet weave via this book, Card Weaving. It taught me all I needed to know about building my little loom, how to make my "tablets",  how to read a pattern, and even how to create my own designs.

The design you see on the images of my loom is the design that Llyrica wove for Slayde, the hero of Loveweaver. It is a design that goes quickly since the tablets turn forward 4 times and backward 4 times to form one motif. There are designs where tablets are turned in groups in opposing directions and you really need to pay attention or things can go wrong pretty quickly.

My favorite historical romance novels have heroines who have strong talents and can use them to shape their lives. I know what I'm talking about: I was a dressmaker for 35 years, raising my two children as a single mother.




No comments:

Post a Comment